Darren ‘Best Supporting Act-’ Criss
Whiffenpoofs on Darren’s official Whiffenpoof name (via justsweeneytodd)
Many years ago, I lived with Darren for a summer. Basically, I started telling him about our ideas for The Very Potter Musical; a musical about Harry Potter. This was a year before we actually did it. And Darren starting saying like, “Oh yeah, yeah, yeah that’s pretty cool, I was thinking about writing two Harry Potter themed songs.” And he wanted to write one where Harry Potter was just a metaphor in the songs that he was writing. And one was a song called ‘Goin’ Back to Hogwarts’ that was about, you know, going back to your childhood and going back to your friends and stuff like that.
And then he was like, “Then I want to write a song called ‘I Was Harry Potter’. Where it’s about you losing everything and about how you used to be a cool guy and now you’re a loser”. Those were his two ideas for Harry Potter themed songs.
And then when we were doing the first one we were like, “Hey let’s use your idea for that song ‘Goin’ Back to Hogwarts’ and that’ll be the beginning of the show”. And he was like, “Yeah sure okay”.
And in this one, we were like, let’s use the ‘I Was Harry Potter’ idea. This was also when we made up the show, right after the sequel was done; we assumed that Darren would be writing music for it, but he ended up not being able to.
Nick Lang on Darren’s ideas for Harry Potter themed songs (via starkidspacetourvideos)
- Julia Albain: There was this one guy in the show, that I think a few people know, his name was Darren Criss and he played Judas. I don't think he's coming back for this one, but you never know. Maybe.
- Julia Albain: You know, Darren is pretty nostalgic. So it's like, that might be where we can really poke him and get him.
- Joey Richter: Darren loves memories and friends.
- Julia Albain: He loves memories so much! He hoards memories.
- Joey Richter: And if we can tell Darren, "Darren, we'll get food together every night when you're there," he will just lose it! Darren loves getting food...
- Julia Albain: Yeah, Darren is a memory hoarder, he's a memory hoarder. Which is a good thing.
I think that my favorite part is when Darren sees the Potter stinks buttons and he is supposed to say, “Where did you get this button?” But he says “Who made that pin?” And that’s how he says it. Why did he say it like that? We just thought it was really funny. And he made a stupid face and a stupid voice just for that one line. We don’t know why he did it, but we said that’s the best part of the show.
Matt and Nick Lang on their favorite moment of the finished AVPSY performance (listen to the whole interview here)
The paramount tour guide told us that Cory and Darren are by far the nicest people on the lot and that sometimes Cory tries to get people’s attention on tours by going behind the carts and making dinosaur sounds to make people turn around. Also Darren said that the one time it’s hard to greet people on the lot is right after or before the do an emotional scene.